Saturday, January 29, 2011

Bean Bag Tutorial

I realize bean bags are pretty self explanatory, but the kids and I threw these together last night and they were so fun! I am just learning how to sew, and this tutorial could benefit someone who is a newbie like me!


Supplies needed:

Fabric squares - 2 for each bean bag
Thread
Beans 

**I used 5" squares and black eyed peas. One bag of black eyed peas filled approximately 3 1/2 bags.**

I had purchased a couple of baggies of fabric squares from Designs by Jamie a while back and they were the perfect size for this project. I went with some funky color combos. Colors that were the same and/or looked good together, but not necessarily 'matching'. 

First, place fabric squares right side together and pin. Sew all around the 4 edges leaving a 2" opening for turning. 
Trim the corners and turn bean bag right side out. Now, place a funnel in the opening and fill about 3/4 full of beans. I used black eyed peas because that is what I had on hand, but you could use any kind of bean you would like. If you want to fill them fuller you may have to hand stitch the opening. The kids can help with this part too. Mine loved it. (I got a 4 pack of funnels from Wal-Mart for $1.)
Now just fold in the open edge and do a little top stitch! So simple, and the kids absolutely loved playing with the bean bags.



I'm already planning on who to gift these to! These would be perfect for my nieces and nephews as well as my kids friends. You could do themes, colors, fabric appliques.... 

If you don't want to make these yourself I would love to do it for you! Click on the contact me tab above and we can work something out. Thanks!

No comments: